Some days, I just don't want to do dinner.
I want to eat it, I want my family to get a healthy meal, but I don't feel like having to whip up everything from scratch. I try to make a delicious and healthy dinner every evening, but come on, don't we all have those days when we are running behind schedule, have soccer and dance practice, or didn't have time to think ahead and pull out ingredients that morning?
I found a great way to incorporate fresh and healthy ingredients I keep on hand with a quick and easy dinner. New Kraft Recipe Makers! I found mine at Safeway right in the meat department but they are also found with the other Meal Starter Kits. There seven different varieties and each box lets you know if it is a skillet, oven, or slow cooker preparation. It makes it so easy to choose exactly what works for your family.
Each box contains 2 types of sauces that you will use to create a yummy home-cooked meal in no time flat. Each box also has 3 recipes to make it even easier for you to personalize your meal. I picked Verde Chicken Enchilada flavor because I LOVE enchiladas. I also looked through the ingredients and discovered this mix does not contain wheat and I could create a gluten-free dish for myself! While I do love enchiladas, the corn tortillas I have to use because of my gluten intolerance ALWAYS fall apart. I decided to try layering this dish and creating a mexican lasagna we all would enjoy.
All you would need to create this meal is chicken, tortillas, and shredded cheese, but I had some extra ingredients on hand and decided to stray from the recipe and boost the veggies in this one. You could add whatever you have on hand, black beans, broccoli, jalapenos would all be delish! If you can't find Cotija, you can use feta cheese or just use the Mexican blend shredded cheese.
- Kraft Recipe Makers- Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 Small Onion-Diced
- 1 Green Pepper- Diced
- 4 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 6 oz Frozen Spinach-Drained
- 2 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 10 oz Cotija or Queso Fresco Cheese
- Saute your diced onion over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add diced pepper to the skillet and saute 5 additional minutes.
- Mix in the shredded chicken and spinach into the onion pepper mixture.
- Add the Creamy Ranchero Filling Sauce to the pan and combine.
- In a separate bowl mix both of the cheeses.
- In a large rectangular baking dish, pour half of the the Tomatillo Finishing Sauce into the bottom of the pan.
- Add one layer of corn tortillas, 1/2 of the chicken mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Add one more layer of tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- Top with one layer of tortillas, the second half of the Tomatillo Finishing Sauce, and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, or until it is heated, melty, and slightly browned on top.
I was worried it might be dry because I didn't layer sauce into the lasagna, just had it on the top and bottom, but it wasn't! Thehe lefovers we had the next day for lunch were awesome as well! I will definitely be making this again and venturing out to try some of the other flavors like; Hickory BBQ Beef, Three Cheese Chicken Florentine, and Chicken Cacciatore!
I would love for you to follow along! Subscribe via bloglovin, e-mail or rss feed in a reader. I also post on Twitter and Facebook almost every day. And did I mention my Pinterest addiction....
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.