Electrical Spool Upcycle

The office is finished!

My husbands, industrial chic office is F-I-N-A-L-L-Y done! He really seems to like it, so much so that he has made himself SUPER comfortable (read-messy) and I can't even get good pics of the final room! Hopefully he (or I) will be able to clean up this weekend so I can share.

This was my last project for the room and it is so handy and I just love the fun pop of color.

I was given 2 of these old wooden electrical cord spools and they have been in my garage for like 10 months. I love 'em and have seen so many amazing projects using them. I just couldn't decide and then this little corner in the office really needed a place to park it-and the spool became "THE" spot.

I decided the office needed some color and I used a mistint from The Depot to paint the boards on the inside of the spool.

Then I used Annie Sloan Dark Wax to weather it.

I thought about making a cushion, but decided to keep it "au natural" because of that cool printing on top. I sanded the life out of it and used 4 coats of polyurethane to ensure no one gets a splinter in his or her bum.

I also put 4 heavy duty wheels on the bottom for easy scootability.

This is sitting right under the chalkboard and wall hooks. Here is the desk redo and message center I also made for the office. Hopefully, I will be able to share the finished room next week....if a messy someone can clean up his junk that is!

Comments

1. Debra says:

I LOVE your table. :)

2. Mindi says:

This is super awesome! I have a few as well, waiting for the right inspiration!

3. Peggy says:

Just stopping by to invite you to My Wednesday Linky party. http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/10/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-linky-party-6.html

4. Karen says:

LOVE IT! I have one in my garage too. Actually in front of my garage. My friend was supposed to have taken it home like for weeks now. I think I may just take it back again and find a corner of my house for it!

5. Karen Schulz says:

This is so amazing. I love it. visiting from Redoux

6. Mel says:

Very cool, I want a couple of these for my family room.

7. Looks great! What a fun shade of green!

8. Lisa says:

What a fabulous idea, I love the green you used it adds a nice pop of color

9. Hi Kim! Love this! Just wanted you to know we are featuring it this week at Inspiration Friday, thank you for sharing it with us!

Heather

10. Nina says:

Hi Kim,

I really love your creativity. I would love to make one bookshelf-coffee table for an old professor. she has millions of books in her small apartment. Could I use your idea? If yes, where can I find those giant spools?

You really make life more beautiful :)
    Nina

Nina you are really sweet! Thanks:) You know, I found some at an old car garage. I have also heard of people finding them at the actual electric comany warehouse. They sure aren’t easy to come by! Good Luck:)

1. [...] friend Kim from Too Much Time Upcycled an Electrical Spool and made it over into this great office stool.  Rumor has it [...]