First of all, check out the difference a month makes!
We have arugula in drawer #2 and lettuce in drawer #3.
I loaded the top planter with a trailing plant and a couple of different full and bushy flowers. I can't wait for it to cascade over the sides of the dresser!
I also planted some spinach and peas behind the flowers.
Those peas started popping up and I had to make a quick decision about how to support the vines. That wall there belongs to our neighbors house and I don't think they would be too keen on me putting holes in it to attach something directly to the wall. So, I needed to get creative...I decided to build a very basic and simple trellis to prop on the dresser behind the planter box.
I absolutely love it!
Here is the nitty gritty. I found some old baseboard boards in our garage and decided they would be perfect.
I cut them and screwed them together.
Then I propped it up and painted the front black.
I had this gnarly wire roll in the garage and clipped it size and stapled it to the back of the trellis.
That wood was seriously sturdy. I had a heck of a time screwing into it and stapling it. Check out these awesome bent staples.
I grabbed my Elmer's Paint Pen and wrote "petit pois" which I believe means small peas in french, but I could be mistaken. It looks pretty and no one I know speaks french, so I figure I'm safe even if I got it wrong:)
I just propped it up and the planter in the front is holding it safely in place.
I am quite pleased with the way this hair brained scheme to put this broken down dresser in my backyard.
With everything sprouting up around the dresser it is brightening the whole side of the yard up nicely!