Earth Day Thursday- No Sew Cloth Napkins

I found this great idea in Whole Living magazine.
I love this magazine and website for so many reasons! It has great recipes, eco-friendly decorating and craft ideas, and tons of tips on healthful living. When I saw this project a few weeks ago, I immediately ran to my husbands closet.
Whole Living's no-sew cloth napkins
I gently cajoled (FORCED) him to choose 5 shirts he was done with. None of which he has worn in 3-5 years, but he still cried to say goodbye...baby:)
I cut the shirt into 12" x 18" pieces
Then I frayed each edge.
I ended up with 5 napkins
They packaged up all cute with my twine!
 They are going to make the cutest little  gifts for my eco-girls!

I am putting some in my ETSY store too.

My husband is out of town for work for the next few days and I may have to sneak back into his closet:)

Photobucket

Comments

1. very cute and resourceful!

2. OMG! This is a great idea too. So many ideas here, so little time. Although I don't have too much time on my hands, I think I'll puruse the closets of a few family members and make some napkins. New follower!

3. Erin says:

I've managed to eliminate all paper goods in my house except for napkins and TP. I thought about using cloth napkins, but I've only ever had "nice" cloth napkins that I hated to soil. This is such a fabulous idea and a handy way to re-purpose my husband's shirts he no longer likes. Thanks for sharing! :)

Erin @ Carolina Country Living

4. Oh my gosh so cute! What kind of material are those shirts? Just regular cotton or are they flannel?

5. Jen says:

Wow, great idea! THanks for sharing.

6. Kim Sturge says:

Nice Idea. I think I have just the shirt in mind.

7. Sherry says:

This is fabulous! I was just thinking I need to find a way to make my own cloth napkins…they are so spendy but I love using them everyday. I did a cloth "papertowel" post to reduce papertowel use and spreading germs. Check it out if you are interested:

8. What a cute idea:)

9. Well, how cleaver is this! Perfect for non-sewers (like me..)

10. Thanks for sharing, funny your husband is going to be shirtless!
    Mine has way too many, Well I think so! Can you imagine if the
    hubs went into our clothes and started cutting :)

11. Those are really cute! Have you tried washing them, do they wash well?

12. Sherry says:

This is a wonderful idea for napkins. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new follower, I would luv for you to drop by when you have a chance.

13. marissa says:

that looks so pretty, I loved the edges I'd love it if you would add this to my link party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-wore-wednesdays-1.html

14. Those are so adorable. Love the frayed edges. I hope you will link these up to More the Merrier Monday.
    Jamie

P.S. I have another giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out.

15. You had me at no-sew! This is great…I might have to hit up my local thrift store for some shirts…my hubby doesn't have any I'd like to turn into nampkins!

I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/11/pinteresting-linky-party-week-fourteen.html

16. Rhiannon says:

great idea, how do they wash?

17. Excellent idea and love how it is an upcycle idea too!! Great gift as well. Thanks so much for linking to Strictly Homemade Tuesday!!

18. Mesmire says:

Oh I’m glad I stumbled onto your little blog. I see this post is kinda old. But I never though of making napkins this way. I had thought how could I make napkins and from what recycled fabric during Xmas time to do gifts. But alas came up w/ nothing. Too bad my bf doesn’t wear button downs. But I think it’s still eco-conscious to buy the used shirts from a thrift store… oh the possibilities!

19. Linda says:

I just came across this site for no sew cloth napkins at the perfect time…We’re doing a Farm to Table Dinner for 100 people in Sept for our towns Farmer’s Market and looking for inexpensive ways to dress up our tables…we get the tablecloths free from a town group, but had to rent napkins last year. So this has inspired us to be creative with little cost to us! Thanks for sharing!