My Kind of Flowers

They were easy to make, cost next to nothing, don't need water,  and never die

I made these beauties with some pages of sheet music from books I picked up at Goodwill. I think I paid $1 for both of them, and they will serve me well for at least 4 or 5 projects.
The best part is, I am going to show you exactly what I did. The entire project took about 45 minutes.
Materials
sheets of paper (colors, book pages, sheet music)
scissors
glue gun
branches
vase
1. I used two tones of paper for a bit more interest in the final product
2. Cut large circles from your paper and spiral cut each one
3. Start rolling at the outer edge
4. Keep on rolling, don't let go
5. When you get all the way to the middle pop a dot of glue on the circle
6. Secure it to the bottom of the flower
7. WAIT, let go very slowly and carefully and let the bloom unfold to your desired size-BUT DON'T LET GO ALL THE WAY!
8. Strategically put dots of glue throughout the flower petals. Test it by letting go just a tiny bit to be sure it won't unfurl completely and make you shout d*@#&!
I probably needed about 5 or 6 extra spots of glue to keep each flower together
9. Place your branches in your vase and glue on  the blooms
I love it! I am glad I used two different tones of paper. I like the aged feel of the dark flowers.
I may make one with springy colors to decorate for Easter. Hmm, I could add tiny eggs to the branches and Easter basket grass inside the vase.

I have also seen cute wreaths and topiaries made from these rosettes. A project for another day.

Comments

1. gorgeous! have been wanting to make some paper flowers and they look so good on the branches. Just pinned them :)

2. You wrote a very interesting article. And I agree with you. hair loss

3. Anonymous says:

You wrote a very interesting article. And I agree with you. hair loss

4. Gallery32 says:

I really love this idea. I am going to make these on the next rainy day :)

5. Vickie says:

I going to do this for Easter with my class!
    reusecrafts.blogspot.com

6. JaneEllen Jones says:

Thanks so much for an excellent tutorial. I seem to be on a roll lately with paper and fabric flower tutorials. Haven’t made any of either one—yet, but am planning to when I get my Easter projects done. Better be soon since Easter is very close. Wish I knew where I could get some old music sheets. Really like your paper flowers, they look awesome. I’m hoping to make some fabric flowers to put on headbands also and hope to be able to sell some of them. Isn’t crafting awesome? I so enjoy it and it’s a great way to keep me busy and my brain functioning since I’m an “older person”, lol. I used up the last of my ink cartridges printing out your tutorial, no ink til the 28th. when we get our SS. We live by our SS paydays. 5 weeks between again.

I am SO flattered that you used up your ink printing my tutorial! I have just had to keep my daughter at bay for a few weeks till i could buy some more:) She wanted all those darn paper dolls I found all over the internet! I get my sheet music at thrift stores-it is hit or miss, but when I do find a book it seems to last forever. I just found a 167 pager for $2.99! I almost jumped for joy.

7. Leah says:

I made these for a “Welcome to our wedding” board and the couple loved them. Thanks for sharing the how-to!

8. I can’t wait to make these for my guest room and living room. Thanks a bunch!

9. Debbie Smith says:

We are doing a pastor appreciation dinner and need to make newspaper roses for the center pieces. I need your help to make the roses. I am downloading your instructions on the sheet music roses on the twigs in the vases but I also need more help for other styles for other tables. Thanks

I have seen so many different paper flower tutorials all over blog land. You could even dye the paper with tea to achieve different color variation. Good luck and I am so glad I could help:)

10. Lizzy Allan says:

This is so cool Kim! I’m going to send the link to my sister. She’s a music teacher who works from home … they’ll look great in her music room :) Thanks for hosting the blog party!